Missing Sage custom functions

Wednesday 22 April 2015 @ 10:38 pm

This weeks puzzle:

A customer upgraded to Sage (PeachTree) v2015 last week. Everything seemed to work fine, but their most important Crystal Report wouldn’t run because it uses Sage custom functions, and those functions were not showing up in Crystal. The Sage software has a button to install these custom functions, but clicking this button didn’t change anything. Sage support couldn’t solve the problem so the customer called me.

I know that all Crystal custom functions come from DLLs and I assumed that this Sage DLL was either missing or in the wrong place. The customer asked Sage support for the name of the DLL so we could search for it. They sent him lots of information, but not the file name.
So the customer did a fresh install of Sage v2015 on a local PC, and everything worked correctly. So I opened up Crystal and could see the Sage custom functions listed together – along with the name of the DLL.  We searched for that file (U2Lpeach.dll) and found it in:

C:\Windows\Crystal.

We then checked that same folder on the server and found that the DLL was in that same folder. But yet when we opened Crystal on that same server the Sage functions were not visible.  Crystal had several other custom functions that were working, so I searched for those DLLs and found them in a different folder on the server:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Business Objects\BusinessObjects Enterprise 12.0\win32_x86

Since we knew that Crystal could read the DLLs in that folder, we copied the Sage DLL and pasted it in with the others. Once we restarted Crystal the Sage functions appeared. The difference probably has to do with a windows environment variable somewhere, but rather than mess with the server settings we decided that a duplicate DLL was workable solution.

(For examples of my most popular formulas, please visit the FORMULAS page on my website.)







Leave a Reply

Jeff-Net
Recrystallize Pro

Crystal Reports Server